Pet Food Express is seeking an energetic, highly-skilled, and hands-on Training Manager to step in to lead, develop, and facilitate our training and development programs. Reporting to the Director of Merchandising, the Training Manager is responsible for establishing a workforce of well-educated and skilled store employees who compassionately help pet owners by engaging them in conversations, make recommendations, provide exceptional customer service, and sell products that enhance the well-being of their pets. As part of the Senior Management team, the Training Manager sets a company-wide example of Pet Food Express’ commitment to its culture and philosophy. The ideal candidate will have experience training the trainers, measuring progress of trainees, modifying programs, and motivating people – although it is extremely helpful, you don’t need to have pet-product or pet health specific experience, but you will need to be able to master these complex subjects and bring a passion for people and pets!
What you'll do:
- Develop the overall strategy, curricula design, training delivery, and maintenance of product training courses. Oversee the creation and effectiveness of training materials such as e-modules, Product Training Sheets, and New Hire Training materials.
- Evaluate trainee’s competencies, recognize learning deficiencies, and improve learning opportunities as needed. Communicate with store managers about student’s strengths and weaknesses and necessary remedial training. Ensure associates share a common sales voice and are providing the best recommendations to PFE customers for their pet’s well-being.
- Be the subject-matter expert in all categories of pet products in order to train others on how to represent our vendors and sell our products to pet owners effectively. Act as the adviser and give input on product function, efficacy, ingredients, and safety for both the company and public.
- Facilitate and coordinate New Hire Training – schedule speakers, secure training venues, set agendas, secure supplies, resources, organize attendees, arrange transportation, etc.
- Manage and support field trainers and writers. Arrange external and internal staff trainings with field trainers, vendors, senior store manager trainers, etc.
- Educate vendor trainers to ensure training is successful and non-disruptive. Follow up with stores to evaluate the vendor’s effectiveness, update appropriate Category Managers, and offer guidance to vendors on how to be more effective.
- Maintain ongoing communication with department leaders to maximize training department effectiveness (i.e. our Merchandising team and manufactures to evaluate products).
- Continually educate yourself on products. Attend trade events, vet conferences, and vendor sites as appropriate to stay up to date on the industry and maintain in-depth knowledge.
- Assist with Quality Control and notify Senior Managers (including company owners) as appropriate with customer problems, recalls, etc.
- Work with the Director of Stores and Director of Merchandising to support the overall sales strategy. Review and (when appropriate) write the product signage and other related materials to ensure accurate information is relayed and that there is a common sales voice.
What you'll bring:
- 4 + years of significant training or teaching experience.
- 4 + years of sales experience.
- Eagerness to learn about our company culture, animal health, pet products and our individual stores and personnel.
- A love for problem-solving with an ability to perform root cause analysis and implement solutions.
- Ability to interpret and convey simple to moderately complex scientific concepts.
- Strong coaching, leadership, and management skills. You’re gifted in communication and in connecting with people.
- Skilled and experienced public speaker.
- Collaborative work-style.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills. You’ll provide samples.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Bachelor’s degree in science preferred.
- A passion for animals and their wellbeing.
What you’ll love:
- A collaborative team that makes an impact
- A management team that cares about your professional development
- A generous store discount for employees and family members
- Competitive pay including vacation, holiday and sick pay
- A pet-friendly work environment
- Health insurance, 401(k) match, profit sharing, and other great benefits—even pet insurance!
About Pet Food Express
One of Business Insider Magazine’s “25 companies that are revolutionizing retail,” we at Pet Food Express pride ourselves on offering high quality, innovative, and unique pet foods and products. Since 1986, our commitment to purpose over profits has driven our decades-long history of continuously strong growth. But don’t take our word for it: in addition to our national industry awards, you’ll find us and our founders on lists like the National Retail Federation’s “People Changing Retail’s Future” (‘15) and “Top Bay Area Workplaces” (7 years running).
You love pets, so do we. Join us.
Pet Food Express is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.