Pet Food Express is looking for an experienced and creative Merchant/Buyer to execute the delivery of high-quality merchandise that meets our standards. Reporting to the Head Merchant, the Merchant/Buyer has an ongoing responsibility of meeting sales performance expectations and maintaining vendor relationships. We’re seeking a Merchant/Buyer who’s determined to investigate the market for hidden gems. You’ll evaluate and nominate new vendor partners that will offer the fun, innovative, healthy, and safe products that will enhance the well-being of pets and then justify to stakeholders why the new supplier selection will drive the business forward. The ideal candidate will have specialty chain experience (doesn’t need to be pet product-specific), experience leading and developing a team, persuasive skills, and is eager to continuously learn and get to know our stores in order to develop merchandise strategies that leverage our unique attributes.
What you'll do:
- Gain in-depth knowledge of each category and product within the category assigned, vendor capabilities, what the competition is doing within each category, sales performance, as well as ingredient/materials, price points, and channels sold through for all products
- Create a differentiating vision for each category, as well as identify new opportunities that will enhance the customer experience and keep Pet Food Express on the forefront of innovation, nutrition and pet safety
- Analyze and keep abreast of emerging trends, communicate relevant product news, and nutritional information
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships, as well as negotiate for the most favorable terms and discounts
- Evaluate and nominate new vendor partners and effectively articulate justification to stakeholders
- Present and engage meetings of 100+ store management personnel on a monthly basis
- Supervise and develop Assistant Category Managers in order to meet performance expectations
What you'll need:
- 6 years of merchandising/marketing experience with 3 years of specifically buying-related experience
- Experience managing change or developing merchandising programs in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Strong critical thinking and business curiosity, including exceptional analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to take charge and make high-level decisions
- Thorough understanding of buying, merchandising, competition (with preferred multi-store chain experience)
- Strong leadership, coaching and development skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, as well as proven presentation and negotiation skills
- Highly organized, adaptable to quickly changing priorities, with excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Business Administration preferred
What you'll love:
- A collaborative team that makes an impact
- A management team that cares about your professional development
- A generous store discount for employees and family members
- Competitive pay including vacation, holiday and sick pay
- A pet-friendly work environment with an outdoor dog park!
- Health insurance, 401(k) match, profit sharing, and other great benefits—even pet insurance!
About the Company
We at Pet Food Express pride ourselves on offering high quality, innovative, and unique pet foods and products. Led by Mark and Michael since 1986, our commitment to purpose over profits has driven our decades long history of continuously strong growth. But don’t take our word for it: in addition to our national industry awards, you’ll find we have been a “Top Bay Area Workplace” for 8 years running!
You love pets, so do we. Join us.
Pet Food Express is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.