We are looking for a lease-savvy and detail-oriented individual to manage all administration functions for the Pet Food Express portfolio of leases while ensuring lease compliance and maximizing cost efficiency. Reporting directly to the Director of Real Estate, responsibilities include lease interpretation and abstracting; tracking critical dates; ensuring proper payment of rent, common area maintenance, real estate taxes, and additional rent charges; and preparing rent increase calculations, budgets, and year-end reconciliations. The Commercial Retail Property Manager maintains ongoing communication with landlords, property managers, and store staff, as well as internal departments, including Accounting, Real Estate, Construction, and Maintenance, to accomplish these responsibilities.
What you’ll do:
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with the store staff, building owners, and property managers. Act as the liaison between the Landlord and Pet Food Express.
- Regularly communicate with store staff to ensure expectations are met and issues are addressed in a timely manner. Manage incidents through our internal work order system.
- Coordinate building repair and maintenance projects for which the Landlord is responsible to insure our store staff and customers are not adversely impacted.
- Arrange for alterations to, or maintenance, upkeep, or reconditioning of property as specified in our lease agreements.
- Manage and employ services of security and grounds keeping personnel for properties maintained by Pet Food Express.
- Demonstrate a strong knowledge and understanding of the various leases and lease clauses. Maintain tickler system of key expiration/notification dates in lease files.
- Assist Lease Accounting in the completion of all annual CAM reconciliations, estimate adjustments, and rent increases.
- Maintain accurate lease files, property files and vendor files.
- Enter all abstracted lease data into real estate management software.
- Ensure compliance of our obligations per the leases.
- Assist facilities and operations personnel in advising what the company’s responsibilities are under its leases.
- Manage due diligence for new and existing leases including tenant improvement allowances, rent commencement documentation, property delivery dates, estoppels, and SNDAs.
- Manage in-house janitorial team and the corporate office facility including the office lunchroom.
What you'll bring:
- Experience (3 years +) in retail commercial real estate, property management, or lease administration
- Proactive with a focus on practical solutions.
- Customer service skills must be sincere and strong.
- Capable of thriving in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment where coordinating with multiple departments is critical.
- Priority setting, organization and time-management skills.
- Concise grammatical skills, excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong math or accounting skills.
- Experience reading and interpreting retail real estate leases, including all related lease documents.
What you’ll love:
- Competitive salary plus vacation, holiday and sick pay
- Medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k) Plan match, profit sharing, and other great benefits—even pet insurance!
- A generous discount for employees and immediate family
- Dog-friendly office with on-site dog park
About the Company
One of Business Insider Magazine’s “25 companies that are revolutionizing retail,” we at Pet Food Express pride ourselves on offering high quality, innovative, and unique pet foods and products. Since 1986, our commitment to purpose over profits has driven our decades long history of continuously strong growth. But don’t take our word for it: in addition to our national industry awards, you’ll find us and our founders on lists like the National Retail Federation’s “People Changing Retail’s Future” (‘15) and “Top Bay Area Workplaces” (7 years running).
You love pets, so do we. Join us.
Pet Food Express is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.